Mixed Nuts Pesto
Taste, Health, Diet, Allergies….too many to think about before you start cooking, innit? As I mentioned in my earlier posts, I always try and cook something healthy without compromising the taste…well, I try 😉 Mixed Nuts Pesto Pasta is one of those tries 😋
I felt wholesomeness when I had pasta with homemade pesto for dinner tonight. I prefer homemade pesto rather than buying at the store of which we don’t have any control over the quality. I have added varieties of nuts (walnuts, cashews, peanuts and pine nuts) to my pesto sauce, this enhances the flavour at the same time as it gives abundant nutrients.
Serves – 4 to 5
- 30g Fresh basil leaves washed and stemmed
- 20g fresh coriander leaves washed and chopped
- 30g Mixed nuts ( walnuts, cashews, dry roasted peanuts – discard the skin if you like, lightly roasted pine nuts)
- 1 large garlic clove
- Extra Virgin olive oil – 4 to 5 tbsp
- 1/2 a cup parmesan cheese – freshly grated
- 1 tsp grounded black pepper
- Required amount of salt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 300g dried Pasta or spaghetti
- Cook pasta in a heavy saucepan with boiling salted water until soft and tender. Drain the excessive water.
- Meanwhile, get on with preparing a pesto sauce. In a blender/food processor, tip in all the nuts and garlic cloves and blend it to a coarse paste.
- Now add in Basil leaves, coriander leaves and olive oil then pulse it until you get a smooth paste.
- Now stir in the parmesan cheese into the pesto paste and the lemon juice as well. Drizzle in some extra olive oil, if you like. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve it with cooked pasta or enjoy this pesto sauce as a spread for sandwich too.