First off, Happy Diwali to all my friends and I Wish this Diwali brings all joy and the good stuff for everyone 🙂 DIWALI – is the festival of lights and diyas celebrated by millions of people worldwide. Despite this is a famous Hindu festivals of India, people from all religion celebrate with gusto and fervor. DIWALI is also known as Deepavali, “row of lamps” in Sanskrit and people celebrate by decorating their homes with candles and colourful diyas for five days as well as lighting fireworks as it remarks the triumph of light over dark and good over evil.
Of course, there will be a festive feast on this occasion and I think your free time is precious and never more than so during the festive period. So relax, let’s take the hassle out of preparing sweets and I will tell you the delicious recipe that can be prepared in no time and all of your family members definitely would love this.
Serves 7 to 8
- 2 cups freshly/frozen grated coconut
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 to 7 cashews broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Take a square tray, coat it with ghee and set aside.
- Take a non-stick pan and dry roast the grated coconut on a low flame for a couple of minutes until the aroma comes out of the coconut. Transfer it to a seperate bowl.
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick pan on a medium heat and add in the cashews.Fry for a couple of minutes until it becomes goldenbrown in color. Transfer it to small bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan on a medium flame, add in the water and sugar and stir it continuously until it reaches the desired consistancy as it forms the single string when you take a drop of the sugar liquid between your fingers.
- At this stage, tip in the coconut and keep stirring for a few minutes.
- Now throw in cardamom powder and 1tbsp of ghee and mix well.
- Stir the mixture continuosly for about 5 to 6 minutes until it reaches the thick consistency and form a mass without sticking the sides of the pan. Now, add in fried cashews and mix well together.
- Immedietly pour the mixuture into the greased tray and wait for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Now with the knife, cut into the desired shapes still its warm. It will be very hard to cut into pieces when it becomes cold.
- Delicious coconut burfi is ready to serve.